The Incubator is a not-for-profit project by Hands On Art that provides senior students and young artists the chance to gain experience in exhibiting their artwork in a public art space.
Students from the Brisbane and the Moreton Bay Region are invited to submit their work for display in our annual exhibition which celebrates the talented young creatives in our community. Prizes are awarded to those artists whose work shows skill, creativity and conceptual depth.
The main prize this year is a residency at Hands On Art in their artists’ studio. The selected artist will have access to studio and exhibition space and will be able to work alongside and be mentored by experienced local artists. This is a great opportunity for a young artist wishing to gain experience in the art industry. The winning artist will also get the chance to exhibit what they make during their residency in the Hands On Art gallery space.
As well as giving artists a stage to showcase their work, The Incubator also provides professional development opportunities in the form of a workshop run by an experienced artist. In this workshop participants will learn about how to apply for exhibitions, where to look for opportunities and how to propose ideas and present their work.
The exhibition will be open for a week and will have an opening night and awards ceremony.
See for yourself! Video about the program at this link.
Exhibition Dates: 10th August- 14th August
Opening Night: 10th August 6.30pm-8.30pm
Venue: Hands On Art, 150 Enoggera Terrace, Paddington, 4064
Deadlines and Terms and Conditions
- Entries to the Incubator are due by the 28th June.All artworks submitted to the Incubator must be completed at time of submission. Please submit a maximum of to three students from your school. Students are allowed to submit one artwork each however, triptychs and diptychs will be accepted as one artwork. Maximum size of artworks must be 120cm tall/wide/deep.
- All mediums are accepted including sculpture, photography and video. 2D work must be securely framed or able to be hung. Any work which is deemed unsafe or unable to be hung will not be included in the exhibition.
- Artwork can be from a student’s school work or project or an artwork they have made outside of school.
- All artwork must be dropped to the venue between 17thJune- 24th
- Prizes will be judged and awarded by professional artists. There will also be a people’s vote for their favourite artwork which will be announced at the end of the exhibition.
- Participation fee is $25 per student. This is to cover admin costs as well as all other costs involved in holding the exhibition and opening event. Fee can be paid by the student or their school. Only selected artists have to pay the fee. There is no fee to apply for the exhibition.
- An invoice will be sent to selected artists after selection has been announced.
- Each artist must have a separate application form which can be found by clicking the link.
For any other enquiries about the Incubator program please contact
The Incubator 2018